Boris Ivanovich Katorgin (RUS)
Boris Ivanovich Katorgin is a renowned Russian scientist and a product engineer in the field of power engineering, member of the Russian Academy of Sciences, member and director of R&D group for development of high-efficiency liquid propellant rocket engines (LPRE) for peaceful use of Outer Space. He dedicated 52 years of efforts to this scientific area working for the same research and production association – NPO “Energomash named after academician V.P.Glushko”. He started and worked there as a simple design engineer, in 1991 – 2005 he was at the head of this enterprise, in the position of General Director and Chief Designer, and since 2005 he worked in the position of Chief Designer. Today he is the director of Educational and Scientific Center “Physical and power engineering systems” at Moscow Aviation Institute (National Research University) and the Department Chairman at this Institute.
Boris Katorgin was born in 1934 in the Moscow Region, in Solnechnogorsk city. Married, father of two sons. Honored citizen of the Moscow Region and the city of Khimki (in the Moscow Region). Has the following awards: Badge of Honor Order (USSR), Order of Merit for the Fatherland 3rd class (Russia), Order of Yaroslav the Wise 5th class (Ukraine) and medals. Laureate of the State Prize, Russian Governmental Prize and Prize named after Tsander F.A. established by the Russian Academy of Sciences. Master of sport in art of self-defense (sambo), member of the Supervisory Board of the Russian Sambo Federation.
Boris Katorgin was one of those people who created the basis for development of high-output liquid propellant rocket engines with the use of advanced process flow-sheets, studied and adopted the processes of engines start-up and deep throttling to optimize rocket launch cycles. They successfully solved the problem of high-frequency combustion instability in LPRE and suggested a design solution for anti-variation devices which have been introduced for today in the most up-to-date Energomash engines powered by ecologically friendly cryogen fuel.
With Boris Katorgin at the head of the enterprise, NPO Energomash managed to survive in challenging economic environment, kept its intellectual potential and production facilities, and successfully entered the global market. As a result of these efforts in 1992 NPO Energomash signed a contract with U.S company “Pratt & Whitney” – “Agreement on co-marketing and co-licensing of Energomash engines in the USA”.
As part of international cooperation Boris Katorgin also managed the project of development of the world renowned rocket engine RD 180 powered with cryogen fuel. The project was introduced for the international contest announced in the USA by Lokheed Martin Corporation to select a variant of liquid propellant rocket engine for Atlas III and Atlas V launch rockets.
This project won the competition and the engine was developed in tight schedule. Today it is in serial production, marketed to the USA and is used for launching the above types of rockets, moreover RD 180 engine is considered the best LRPE worldwide.
Besides LRPE studies Boris Katorgin was the author and director of a new scientific project – development of high-output supersonic continuously operating chemical lasers.
He uses his broad scientific expertise in cryogen fuel components for research projects to develop cryostatting plants for superconducting electrotechnical systems.
Author of over 330 schшутешашс works, among them: 5 monographs and 180 inventions and patents. Honored doctor at Research and Scientific Center “Applied Chemistry”, at Samara State Aerospace University named after S.P.Korolev, at Moscow Aviation Technical University. Chairman of Grant Committee by the President of Russia for section “Engineering and Exact Sciences”. Member of editorial boards at some science and technical magazines, Chairman of the State Attestation Commission at Moscow Aviation Institute. Over 40 years of teaching experience.
- 1958 – graduated from Moscow State Technical University named after N.E.Bauman (MSTU) and was employed at NPO Energomash named after V.P.Glushko;
- 1967 – defended his candidate dissertation at MSTU;
- 1972– became a Deputy Head of Advanced Technology department at NPO Energomash;
- 1983– defended his doctoral dissertation at NPO “Astrophysics”;
- 1985– became a Deputy Chief Designer at NPO Energomash;
- 1991– became the General Director and Chief Designer at NPO Energomash;
- 2000 – elected as a correspondent member in the Russian Academy of Sciences, section “Power Engineering”;
- 2003 – elected to be Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences, section “Power Engineering”;
- 2005 – Chief Designer at NPO Energomash;
- 2009 – Director of Educational and Scientific Center “Physical and power engineering systems” at Moscow Aviation Institute.
Boris Katorgin personally participated and made invaluable contribution to the below areas:
- A basis for development of high-efficiency LPREs with exhaust reheat;
- Developed the first in the world closed-loop configuration of high-efficiency LPRE with gasification of the both fuel components in the gas generators;
- Developed a spherical power circuit for gas generators;
- Made theoretical substantiation and developed a design of combustion chamber mixing unit with anti-variation partitions formed by the fuel nozzles protruding into the inner space of the combustion chamber;
- Obtained fundamental results in the field of nuclear rocket engines with high density impulse;
- With theoretical studies and experiments demonstrated how high-energy pulverized fuel can be used in rocket engines;
- Carried out theoretical studies and experiments in developing and optimizing rated parameters of continuously operating chemical lasers; obtained unique results in terms of reliability and power output;
- Was the first one in the world to obtain test results in development of experimental hybrid power line with the use of liquid hydrogen and super conducting cable.